Symptoms of chocolate poisoning
Keep an eye out for these symptoms if your pet has ingested any chocolate; they might appear within a few hours:
- Increased heart rate
- Increased thirst
- Increased urination
What to do if your pet eats chocolate
If you suspect your pet has eaten chocolate, act quickly. Follow these steps:
1. Contact your vet
Call your vet or an emergency pet clinic immediately. Provide them with the type and quantity of chocolate eaten, your pet’s weight, and the time of ingestion.
2. Do not induce vomiting
Contrary to some beliefs, inducing vomiting can be dangerous. Your vet will determine whether it’s necessary.
Your vet may recommend inducing vomiting, administering activated charcoal to absorb toxins, intravenous fluids, and medications to manage symptoms.
Prevention is key
The best way to deal with chocolate poisoning is to prevent it. Keep all chocolate and cocoa-containing products out of your pet’s reach. Be extra careful during holidays like Easter and Christmas when there’s more chocolate around the house than usual.