Bee stings

With springtime upon us, we can expect to see more blossoming trees and flowers popping up all over the garden – and with that comes bees. Your dog or cat might think a bee is a harmless new friend, providing a bit of excitement and fun with a game of chase! Often this can result in your pet receiving a bee sting to the face, mouth, or paws.

Has my pet been stung?

It will be very clear almost immediately if your pet has been stung. Keep an eye out for:

  • A sudden or continuing cry from your pet, indicating pain and discomfort
  • Your pet running around in circles or otherwise erratically
  • Licking, chewing, or pawing the same spot repeatedly
  • Unusual swelling
  • Excessive drooling
  • Pale gums

In some extreme cases, pets can experience severe reactions and experience vomiting, collapse, hives, profound swelling, and difficulty breathing. If your pet has been stung by more than one bee or in the mouth or throat, their reaction is more likely to be severe, and they can potentially experience anaphylactic shock. It is essential to act fast.

What should I do if my pet has been stung?

Stay calm! Panicking will only increase your pet’s stress.

The stinger will continue to release venom until it has been removed, causing pain and discomfort.

If you have noticed any of the above-mentioned severe reactions, give us a call and make your way in to see us immediately.

If your pet is having a mild reaction and experiencing discomfort only:

  • Try to locate the site of the sting
  • If you can find it, remove the stinger gently with tweezers

Once you are sure the stinger has been removed:

  • Apply cool water via washing the site or pressing it gently with a wet cloth.
  • Keep an eye on your pet for any developing symptoms, and ensure they are well hydrated.

If your pet appears uncomfortable or develops a more severe reaction after removing the sting, please give your vet clinic a call for further advice.


Spring cleaning hazards

Springtime is the perfect time to shake off those winter blues and freshen up our homes for the busier, warmer months ahead. While we are clearing out and cleaning up, some of the products and tools we use potentially threaten our pets if not handled properly!

Check out some of the issues that can occur for our furry and feathered friends when they come into contact with common household cleaning chemicals:

  • Ensure that any cleaning products you use are out of reach of your pets and stored securely, so they don’t end up accidentally ingesting any poisons. Also, be aware of where you’ve cleaned with a harsh chemical – sometimes, when dry, the residue might taste appealing to your pet.
  • Do not use aerosol sprays around pets, especially birds! Move the animals to another room altogether to avoid them breathing in any chemicals or particles.
  • Ensure that pet’s food and water supply is also clear of any chemicals you may be spraying – droplets and particles can easily contaminate food and water, leading to ingestion later on.
  • When disposing of chemicals or their container, be sure your pet cannot access the rubbish bin.
  • Bottle caps, elastic bands, plastic bags, sponges, and other scrubbing implements can become choking hazards, should they fall into the wrong paws! Make sure these are stored safely and out of reach of your pet.
  • When airing out your home for a clean, make sure that all window and door screens are secure and that your indoor pet cannot sneak out unnoticed!
  • Mops, sponges, and brooms can appear like a fun, interesting new toy for a playful puppy or curious kitten! Be sure to keep your fur-baby away from these to avoid any loose bristles being eaten.

If you suspect your pet has ingested or inhaled any cleaning poisons, call your nearest vet clinic immediately.

The following symptoms are signs your pet could be poisoned and seriously ill:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Excessive sneezing and/or coughing
  • Lethargy
  • Seizures

If you have any questions or concerns, please call your local vet clinic immediately.


Battle the spring itch

A lot of pets can be prone to skin allergies in the springtime due to spring flowers, warmer weather and the high pollen count.  It may be difficult for your pet to find relief from the constant itch! The first thing you should do for an itchy pet is veto bring them in to see one of our veterinary team, but there are some things around the house you can do to help ease the itch as well.

Change their bedding

By changing and cleaning their bedding regularly, you can make sure that you are getting rid of any irritants that could be making their itch worse.

Finding the right food

You wouldn’t think that food could help your pet’s skin – but it can! Ask our team about specially formulated food to help reduce the springtime itch.

Keep up to date on parasite protection

The last thing an already itchy pet needs is to get fleas! Parasites can increase itchiness and lead to other health complications. With spring being the peak time for parasites, make sure your pet is up to date with their parasite protection.

Regular grooming

Making sure your pet is getting a regular brush and wash. Brushing is especially helpful after a walk or being out in the garden or dog park to remove any little irritants that can cause your pet to scratch.

Now you are armed with some great techniques to battle the spring itch and keep your pet healthy and scratch free.


Cat and dog in a spring field

How to tackle the spring allergy season

The warm weather brings sunny afternoons, backyard BBQ’s, beach road trips and, of course, allergies. As we get further into spring, more and more pollen fills the air, triggering allergic reactions for both humans and our furry family members. Here are some tips on helping your fur baby get through the season comfortably.

How do I know if my pet is suffering from allergies?

Whereas we humans get the typical runny noses and sneezing, pets generally exhibit the same allergies through inflamed and irritated skin.  You might start to notice red, irritated areas or even sores on their face, abdomen, back and thighs. This is usually coupled with increased scratching or licking in the affected area.

You may also notice the more typical human symptoms of:

  • Itchy ears
  • Watery eyes
  • Sneezing
  • Swelling in the face, ears and mouth area

What do I do if my pet is showing signs of an allergy?

If you notice any of the above signs, it’s time to take your pet in to see one of our veterinarians. At the clinic they will take a though history and complete and physical examination and may conduct a series of diagnostics tests and use a process of elimination to establish what is triggering the reaction, this makes it much easier to treat and manage.

The most common reasons for allergic reactions in your pet are:

  • Fleas and other parasites
  • Food allergy
  • Environmental allergy

Once you know the cause of the allergy it is important to eliminate the cause if possible or manage the environment to reduce the symptoms for your pet.

How do I manage my pet’s allergy?

After seeing your veterinarian to determine the cause of the allergy, they may prescribe medications or administer medication at the time of the consultation. They may also recommend specially formulated prescription food or therapeutic shampoos. It is important to administer the treatment following the advice given by your veterinarian to ensure your pet is as comfortable and healthy as possible. There are some other measures you can take to manage the allergy and try to prevent it from returning or from the symptoms getting worse.

  • You may think about using an air purifier in the room where your pet spends the most time
  • Regularly vacuum rooms that your pet frequents and dispose of the vacuum contents immediately afterwards
  • Brush your pet regularly to remove any foreign contaminants and loose fur
  • Keep your pets bedding clean and change them regularly

Remember to always see your local veterinarian if you have any questions or concerns regarding the health of your pet.